The other day, I bought two boxes of red velvet cake mix at the grocery store. Because it was on sale. I don’t really even like red velvet cake! About two weeks ago, I made cake pops with the first box. They turned out alright but made me feel a little bit sick. Yep, I am the girl who really doesn’t like icing but wants to because everyone else likes icing. Icing mixed with cake covered in chocolate just did not do it for me.
But a cookie, I LOVE a cookie. So, I decided to make cookies with the cake mix and add a little cream cheese because everything is better with cream cheese!
Red Velvet Box Cake Cookies with Cream Cheese Thumbprints
Box of red velvet cake mix
1 stick butter
2 tbls. vegetable oil
1/4 c. cocoa powder (i wanted theme to REALLY taste like chocolate)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 package cream cheese
1 tblsp milke
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream butter, add one egg at a time until incorporated, and then add the vanilla, oil and cocoa powder
3. Mix the cake mix in until all ingredients are incorporated, but no need to kill it. Just get everything mixed up.
5. Beat cream cheese until smooth, and powdered sugar and milk to taste. (like I said, I am not a huge frosting fan, so I make mine less sweet).
6. Drop cookies onto a cookie sheet. Then create a thumbprint depression and fill in with heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture.
7. Bake for 8 minutes, let rest on the sheet a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.